Located just 30 minutes outside of Portland, Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey offers several trails and scenic overlooks for guests to enjoy. It’s a beautiful drive coming from most any direction, with easy access from Newberg, Dundee and Hillsboro.
Wander the grounds and take in the incredible zen-inspired landscape including ponds, sculpture, and an array of trees, plants and flowers.
Guadalupe Loop is a 3.5 Mile hike with an elevation of 772 feet. There are several trails that connect, including Monk’s Trail, Hermit’s Trail and St. Juan Diego pass, offering you a new experience each time you visit! Please note that in order to protect wildlife and preserve the natural habitat, dogs are not permitted on the trails. For more information, visit: trappistabbey.org
And how about a healthy snack for your day trip? Read on for a fool-proof recipe!
Lauren’s Healthy, Hearty Energy Cookies
(Sugar, dairy and Gluten-free)
These cookies are my “go-to” homemade energy bars! You can have them for breakfast, a snack or take along in your backpack! This recipe is incredibly forgiving and adaptable, so try different versions and see what you like best!
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Extra Thick Oats
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut or almond butter (unsweetened- or mix the two!)
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or delete if you don’t care for cinnamon)
- Add ins: chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried fruit… you name it!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly brush with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in any add-ins and mix until evenly combined- taste! Adjust salt or sweetener.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets The cookies won’t spread while baking so they can be close together. Flatten each cookie dough mound into an even disc about 1/4 inch thick
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden but still soft.
- Refrigerate leftovers as a grab and go energy bar for your walk, hike or road trip! Enjoy!!